Sunday, September 19, 2010

ugly bed part 1

This is my bed.
Or the headboard at least.  3 months since moving in it remains unassembled.

Apparently I thought that fake rustic looked cool in 1996.
It's made from recycled Oregon.  When I bought it, the salesman insisted that the Oregon was originally sourced from "Oregon trees grown in Australia".  This is interesting, because "Oregon" is not a tree: it is just the name for the wood (like Tas Oak).  Oregon comes from Douglas Fir, a softwood harvested from native forests in North America. 

Oregon used to be commonly used for scaffolding etc on building sites in NSW, where I bought this bed (Newtown). Its long fibres make it creak and groan well before it gives way: more so than other wood or metal.  This makes it safer for this use.   Each beam was only used for a limited period so there was plenty around for recycling.

Never buy stuff from dodgy salesmen in Newtown.
 
I don't want to buy a new bed right now so I've been thinking about painting it.  I went to Kenwick Paint Supplies to get expert advice. Bloke said 
1. wood that has already been stained won't absorb more stain unless it is completely stripped back
2. you could varnish it, but it will leave unsightly brush marks unless you spray or are very experienced
3. you could enamel paint it white, but even that may not stick, but you can try
4. primer undercoat will stick.

Sounds like very sensible advice from a bloke who seemed to know his stuff. Which I intend to ignore.   In any case, I'm not really sure if the bed has been stained already or just sealed.

I couldn't buy the stuff at Kenwick paints after ignoring his advice. I might need his advice again one day. Over the road to Bunnings Kenwick.  

I bought a Rosket 25mm natural bristle paint brush for $4.25 and tested two options on the back of the headboard.




Option 1:
1.   Wattyl Satin Stain and Varnish (Walnut colour).  $15.98 @ Bunnings for the smallest tin.




Looks better than I expected, and also appears to be sticking.  Tested with fingernail. 24 hrs drying time between coats.
I think that the fact that the stain sticks suggests that the wood is not already stained, so I think the stain will work OK.



2.  British Paints All in One sealer primer undercoat.  $4.65 @ Bunnings for a sample pot.


















This has very visible brush marks, creating an interesting effect. Also appears to stick. I prefer the stain, but I still like the white better than the current look.


















Another problem with this bed is that it has a rough finish, so it seems to attract fluff.


My plan is:
1. Sand readily accessible surfaces with a belt sander.  This is not to strip the wood, it is more to remove the rough bits that catch the fluff.
2. Paint with Wattyl Stain
3. If this fails, paint over with British Paints All-In-One.
4. If this fails, firewood.

Suggestions welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment